Notes from the Activities team meeting held Monday 18 October
Venue GME county office.
Keith Hampson, Chris Harbut, Andrew Procter, Ken Sever, Tim Crowther,
David Keogh, Gareth Williams, Caroline McCann
The leaders winter skills w/e is to be held at Lochearnhead scout centre run by Hertfordshire scout county. The publicity for the w/e went out some time ago, the structure of the w/e will be slightly different to the past in that leaders can come without the need to attend the formal workshop. The dates are 10th – 13th Feb 2010. 4 leaders have already booked onto the w/e.
Leaders climbing club; This is to be restart in November.
Workshops for 2011
· Climbing; 2 nights at Awesome Walls followed by 2 at Linnet Clough. 4th & 11th April & 5th & 12th May.
- Basic hill walking (T1); To follow the same process as previous years. Theory night at County office, Thursday 31st March, practical session Sunday 3rd April.
- Security on steep ground (T2); Full day 22nd May.
· Kayaking; After the success of last year Chris will run another this year based around Linnet Clough. The date has yet to be fixed.
Andrew reported that the team is forming to provide this facility. He will set some dates and publicise them. It was also thought they might offer the sessions for leaders to see what is being offered.
It was suggested that each meeting should have a slot for best practice of a specific activity, which would be of interest to all. It was thought that if the meetings were open to all this might help.
Ken & Keith attended the National assessors workshop on 2nd Oct held at Bradley Wood.
Hill Walking Consultation
Keith, Ken and Tim held a meeting to discuss the proposals in the document, they all sent in their thought which were broadly the same. This was also discussed at the National workshop.
- Explorer Challenge hike; Chris and Ken agreed to assist in the planning. Chris Kippax is promoting this, it is on 16/17 July.
- Tim reported that he is now a BCU 4* trip leader.
- GMN were wanting to go caving, it was suggested that they approach YAT as they have qualified cavers.
- GMN pay for their assessors NGB membership, Keith said he would speak to the county team to see if GME were willing to do the same.
- Keith reported that at long last he had admin rights to put permits onto the national database. But as this didn’t happen in his “quite” period i.e. before May he now didn’t have the time to put the data on and was only adding new permits, at the moment.
Monday 7th March 20:00 county office